Sunday, February 6, 2011

Beautiful beach day!

I began updating this blog this morning and by the time the boys had eaten their breakfast, the weather looked a little iffy for a beach day, so I gave Robert the green light to do a bike ride along the sea. About 30 minutes after he left, it started to clear up, so when he returned from his long trek (went all the way down to the Promenade des Anglais in Nice and back), I was all packed up and ready to go to the beach. We first went to a restaurant on the beach for lunch and I have to say, I ate one of THE best meals of my entire life. It was absolutely to die for. Robert had a scrumptious fish curry dish (which I convinced him to order since I couldn't decide between that and what I chose!!!) and I had a "formule" which means entree, main dish and dessert, the entree being the best salad ever with warm goat cheese on top, the main being a chinese noodle and chicken/vegetable thing which was equally as good as the salad and the dessert was the biggest and best piece of chocolate cake I have ever experienced!!! I'm still full as I write this. The bad part was that the service was not good and although the kids food came quick (and fortunately they were both so well behaved the whole time) and my salad was there immediately, we waited forever to get our main dish. After having already asked once, Robert told our waiter that if it wasn't here in 5 minutes we were leaving! Seconds later it arrived and I have to say, it was worth the wait. I asked for my dessert to be served while we were eating our meals so that the kids could enjoy dessert while we ate our lunch. Fortunately, it was so big that we all got an ample serving of chocolate cake for dessert! And when the bill came, the waiter brought out 2 shots of limoncello for Robert and I, as it was obvious he felt badly, I think he actually forgot about us, which is why we ended up waiting so long. I will definitely be going there again, hopefully on a Thursday with Robert or else with girlfriends.
After lunch, we walked for 30 seconds to get to the beach area, parked ourselves and had an absolutely amazing afternoon on the beach in Juan-Les-Pins, which is one of the most beautiful and scenic beaches around, beautiful sand, calm, flat waters, not a cloud in the sky...the boys absolutely love it. They could easily play there all day long, and Ryan held his own as we didn't leave until 4:00 and his naptime usually begins around noon and ends around 4! (needless to say, he crashed pretty quickly in the car ride home) For the last couple weeks, the weather has been beautiful so we have spent our Wednesdays doing picnics and playtime at the beach and it's been immensely enjoyable. Last Wednesday I was reading other friends' facebook updates to discover they had enjoyed a sledding day in the snow. And it truly amazes me that we are fortunate enough to live in a place where I can enjoy a sunny day on the beach and my friends can drive one hour and enjoy a sunny day on the slopes. When I'm cursing the size of my closets in this apartment (or lack thereof), I must remember the good things of being here. These such things are among them.
All in all, this was yet another awesome weekend, it's now 7:27PM and both boys have been asleep for over half an hour and I'm very close to serving myself a glass of red, getting my book (or maybe more work on the blog first) and enjoying a couple hours of downtime before bed.

No comments: