Friday, March 6, 2009

We're having a baby!!!

This was my first ultrasound (approximately 10 weeks) and I am now in my 5th month and cannot believe how fast the time has flown by. Even though I worked full time up until the day Andrew was born, I still found time (almost daily) to update my pregnancy journal. Lately, I'm feeling lucky if I manage to get in a shower each day! However, I must admit, although this pregnancy is almost identical to my previous one, I am feeling significantly more tired this time around. And that is in large part due to the fact that I haven't been able to sleep well. For the first 4 months, I was averaging about 4 hours of sleep per night, and despite my exhaustion during the day, I was still unsuccessful at taking a nap, even on those days when Andrew was in daycare. In reading through my pregnancy journal from Andrew, it did surprise me to read that my sleeping habits were almost as bad as this time round but I know I did not feel this tired...but then again, I also did not have an energizer bunny named Andrew in my life at the time!
So far, I guess you could say I am somewhat satisfied with my experience in the prenatal France system. Here's what I've experienced so far:
I first informed our family doctor of my pregnancy while I was in his office for Andrew's 2-year appointment. I asked him who and where he recommended I go to, and rather nonchalantly, he suggested I go to the hospital, where there is a large OB/GYN department/practice. Since it is really the closest place to home, I went with his recommendation without doing too much additional research. One of my best friends here just had her baby there, and had a positive experience, though supposedly, this hospital does not have the greatest reputation in the world. So, I got the phone number and made a call or rather attempted to make a call for my initial visit. What I got was a busy signal the first 20 attempts (no voice mail options), finally, I got a person and scheduled my first appointment, but she was very clear that it had to be after I was 12 weeks pregnant! (or it is not covered! I suppose if there were any problems it would be but she didn't bother to question me on that in any case) I settled with that, but since I was anxious to have an ultrasound, and was advised they were covered, my family doc wrote me a prescription and I went to the closest radiology lab and got to see my little angel #2 for the first time (photo above). I did learn a lesson though: leave Andrew with Daddy (or daycare) when I go for my future ultrasounds!!! He at first stayed with the receptionists upfront, but after some intense screaming, they let him back with me, and he did nothing but scream, as he sat in a chair beside me and observed (sort of) what was going on. I tried to explain the whole baby thing but he was too wound up to even listen. I think it freaked him out to see me lying down in the chair in a dark room.
My initial prenatal visit with my new doctor at the hospital kinda took me for a loop. I went directly to the OB department and waited in this long line-up just to check in. The receptionist was in a closet-looking room and there was a sign at the door that said to stand behind the entrance of the open door for confidentiality reasons. (I could hear every word being spoken to every patient ahead of me!) Since I had been running around all afternoon, I was really feeling kinda woozy, and would have much preferred the American way of writing my name down, finding a chair, and then being called when they are ready to serve me. However, no such luck...I just stood there waiting behind about 10 other women, mostly pregnant, until it was my turn. I had arrived about 20 minutes early, thinking there would be multiple forms about my health, family history, etc. Nope, she just took down my name and address and sent me back to the hospital entrance (where I had to wait in another line) to provide my health insurance information. Back to the OB department I go, and finally, Dr. Magnaldo (my OB) calls my name. There was no peeing in a cup, no being weighed or blood pressure check in advance by an office nurse, there were very few questions about my own health history, no reference to any prenatal vitamins (fortunately I purchased some in bulk on my last visit to FL). I told her about my sleeping problems and very unsympathetically basically just said sorry about your luck but there's nothing she can do about it! Next thing you know I'm up on the table for an ultrasound, which I always love, it's sooo cool to see that little baby inside of you, and always gives me a feeling of reassurance that things are going fine. Since I feel quite strongly this time around that I do not want to know what it is, (though Robert would rather know, so he is not invited to the ultrasound appointments cuz I know he'll peek if he can!!!) I asked her if I should refrain from looking the whole time (and just look at certain images upon her direction). She immediately responded with a comment to the effect that it is way too early so don't worry about identifying the sex. However, less than a minute later, she pipes up and says that she sees what it is but she'll refrain from telling me! Instantly, I was angered. I think she must have seen a penis, and therefore could tell the sex. Some friends of mine say she could have easily seen female genitalia, etc. but nonetheless, if I told her I didn't want to know, she should have kept her damn mouth shut! I wanted to say something, and let her know that I did not appreciate any comments at all about the sex of the baby, but was at a loss for words, partially because the whole appointment took place in french (she doesn't speak english). Anyway, once I got down from the table and put my pants back on, she writes up an invoice and takes my cash (no debit/credit cards accepted...and this is a department in the HOSPITAL!!!), gives me a receipt (to send to my insurance company) and sends me on my way with prescription for bloodwork. I subsequently found out that I must go to the lab for my bloodwork (and it is also here where I do the pee in a cup thing), return to the lab a few days later when the results are ready and bring said results to my next doctor's appointment one month later! Since France requires that pregnant patients who are not immune to toxoplasmosis be tested on a monthly basis, this is the drill I will have to pursue for the next 5 months. Since I have a tendency to faint after I have blood taken, I have to get Robert to take me to these monthly blood tests! Before leaving the appointment, I did remember to ask my doctor what steps to take in the event of any questions or concerns I may have along the way, and she very nonchalantly said to just call here, but advised me to be aware that the lines are usually busy!!!
I do realize that I was very fortunate to have had such an amazing doctor in the States, and by the end of my pregnancy, almost felt like I could call her a friend. We knew personal things about each other, etc. I know that that will certainly not be the case with Dr. Magnaldo!
I have since learned that there are a total of 7 prenatal visits in France: once at the 12 week mark, and one a month for the remainder (none of this once a week thing in your final month like in the US). There are 3 ultrasounds, one at 12 weeks, one at 20 weeks and one at 32 weeks. (I assume you are having a problematic pregnancy, the rules would differ accordingly) The federal insurance system (what everyone who lives in France has) covers 70% of your health care costs up until the 5th month and 100% of all costs thereafter, until the baby leaves the hospital. (our supplemental insurance through Robert's work covers everything that the fed insurance doesn't so fortunately, our out-of-pocket costs are zero)
I was sharing my personal experiences to date with one of my American friends who lives here and who is also pregnant with her second child. She totally empathized with everything, but did share that although the "customer service" part is significantly lacking, that the quality of health care is superior, and that her experience with her first pregnancy (which happened to be high risk) was outstanding, and her baby (in ICU for the first week) was well looked after and thrived ever since. I have enough mom friends here that I have a huge resource of information available to me through them, and they've all had babies in France with great experiences. However, I must say that I, personally, am very happy I had my first baby in the US, we did all our birth classes and baby classes there and we now know fully what to expect this time around while going through it in a foreign country.

No comments: