Saturday, November 21, 2009

"Home" for the Holidays

Yesterday, I was talking with a friend about our plans for the holidays. I found myself saying, and I quote "This year, we are staying home for the holidays". As soon as I said it, I realized it sounded kinda weird. But later on, I started reflecting on what "home" really is to me. Is it Burlington, where I spent the first 19 years of my life? Is it Oakville, the neighbouring city where my mother has laid her roots and where my other two sisters and families are close by? It's definitely not Waterloo, where I spent an amazing, albeit short, four years. Is it West Palm Beach, where I lived for 11 years, began my adult, working life, met my husband and had my first child? Or is it here now in the South of France, where Robert's head office is, and where he continues to love his job, where we've settled for the past two and a half years, where Andrew has started public school, and where my second baby was born? Robert's relocation was permanent in nature, but our intent was to stay for a few years...and yet we're already going on a few years now and have NO plans to relocate in the near future. My older sis was having a very emotional day recently with the thought of not being with the rest of the family for Christmas Day...that thought depresses me immensely too, yet at the same time, I spent the last two Christmas Days in airports going between Florida and Toronto and must admit, am very happy to NOT be travelling again, not to mention, I now have one more little man that would be tagging along. I am looking forward to going for drives through villages here, when all the pretty Christmas lights are displayed. I'm happy that we will have some quality down time as a family of four, as it is the quietest time in the office for Robert. I want to drive up to the mountains and play with Andrew and Ryan in the snow. (well, Ryan can observe from his position in the backpack carrier!) I want to watch all the Christmas specials with Andrew this year and catch up on movies and play Scrabble with Robert, and spend time socializing and entertaining friends. I don't have to spend countless hours in shopping malls as it is too difficult to exchange gifts from abroad (and unfortunately have to depend on Aunty Susie yet again to shop on my behalf for my dearest nephews and niece).
But back to my original point, the truth is, that France is beginning to feel more and more like home everyday. I still cannot see myself spending the rest of my life here (it's too far from family for one and well, I've already mentioned the other stuff in previous blog entries). Yet this week was a bit of an eye-opener for me, in a very positive way. Andrew had a fever and my family doc/pediatrician saw him within an hour of my calling him to make an appointment. He then discovered that I had a previously scheduled appointment for Ryan's 3 month check-up two days later, and took time out of his "sacred" lunch break (they are sacred here in France!) and did Ryan's exam too so that I would not have to come back. The doc then subsequently called ME the next day to check in on both boys to see how they were feeling! (Ryan happened to come down with a fever while we were in the doctor's office) When my friends became aware of the fact that Robert was out of town and I was home with two sick boys, many of them emailed or called me to offer help with groceries, whatever. Today, we took a walk to our local bakery and convenience shop. Since they were out of the usual baguette that I buy, I was asking about the other options. (after 2+ years, I still have no clue what the real difference is between baguette normale, ancienne, gros pain, etc. etc.) Anyway, I ordered a new type of loaf, and she gave it to me for free. Then we stopped in at the convenience store/fruit market since Andrew pointed to the apples on the outside display and wanted one. (since his appetite has really diminished this past week, I'm happy to feed him whatever he wants to eat) So, we went in to buy the one apple, and not only did he give it to Andrew for free, but he went to the back of the shop and washed it for him first. And just the other day, we received an invitation from some of our American friends to come and enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving feast with them at their place. Home or not, it feels really good to be here.

1 comment:

Steph said...

We are spending Christmas this year too in France instead of making the long trip to Singapore. After 7 years here I have started calling it home here too although I think in the eyes of the French I will always be an etangere who speaks french with a funny accent ;) Christmas time does make me homesick though for family and friends in Singapore. Kinda a contradiction eh but glad not to have to make the long trip back with the kidoos in tow. Need some kind of teleport machine to be invented to wish myself in Singapore and back ! ;)