Friday, November 13, 2009

IDENTITY FRAUD = PAIN IN THE $#@!

I'm officially a victim. Of identity fraud that is.

Those who know me well know that I am a worrier. Robert, who I seriously doubt has ever spent a second worrying over anything (with exception to the health and well being of his family), jokes with me that if I won a million dollars, I'd worry over how to spend it. He thinks if everything is going well, I just call up my mom or sisters to find something new to worry about! Sadly, I think he's kinda right. I'm not like some moms (my older sis and my own momma included) who can be out somewhere in public, a beach, playground, etc. and seem totally unconcerned about the whereabouts of their child. I hold conversations at the beach with my friends, often with my back to them so that my front can be faced toward Andrew. My mother never lost an ounce of sleep waiting for one of us to get home at night...good thing she never REALLY knew what time we got in or WHAT we were REALLY doing! I can't help it. Supposedly, my mom's mom (my grandma) was a worrier, so perhaps it's in my genes. Anyway, one thing I never worried about was identity fraud. Despite the growing prevalence and ease of someone stealing your social security number and name, I guess I just never believed it would happen to me. I've never shred a single piece of personal mail. (In the workplace obviously, I strictly adhered to all the rules/laws of confidentiality, always shredding all financial and health-related documents of others). But I just didn't think it could happen to me. My bad. But I also still kinda feel that no matter how careful you are, all it takes is a criminal mind in any of the locations that do hold my name and social, i.e. IRS, former employers, credit card companies, etc. Anyway, when my mom arrived at her winter residence in Florida (where all my American/Canadian mail is now forwarded), she called in a panic one day notifying me of the past due notices coming in. I don't think it would really be so bad if I wasn't living abroad. But the problem is, I now need to sign affidavits from the companies where these purchases (laptops, televisions, etc.) were purchased with my social. The affidavits could not be sent out of the U.S. (who knows why) Therefore, they have to go to my mother, be forwarded here to France by her, signed by me AND notarized and returned to the company, all within 20 days of the affidavit being sent. My biggest problem is finding a notary public to notarize the docs. The only place I know of here, is at the US consulate in Nice, and with a newborn baby, and at 30 euros a crack for notary fee, I adamantly refuse to do it. Looks like I have finally found an alternative solution. Thank you...you know who you are. I've learned a lesson though. I will be much more careful about releasing my name and social. And I WILL start shredding my stuff. And start monitoring my credit report for a monthly fee. I am thankful that this was discovered now, and not hundreds of thousands of dollars spent later, whilst applying for a mortgage or something.
On a positive note (and very happy one), Paul is back in remission. After very serious medical complications, there are now no more leukemia cells in his marrow. And his little brother has turned out to be a perfect donor match for his bone marrow transplant. Thank you God.

No comments: