Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Vacances Scolaires

School holidays are here once again. As I have previously mentioned, there are two weeks of school holidays every 6 weeks for all schools in France. Two weeks in October (well, actually one and a half weeks in October), two weeks in December, two weeks in February, and two weeks in April. This is, of course, in addition to the two months of summer holidays, not to mention more than a handful of government holidays. And EVERY single Wednesday.

I have come to LOVE the school holidays and actually look forward to them. Since Andrew is in school full time, I find the holidays are my chance to have my boy home with me again. Unlike last year, when I was so determined to spend our days outside of the home in order to keep Andrew pleasantly occupied and out of mischief, this year is a different ballgame. He is still quite enamored with all of his new toys from Christmas and his birthday and is really beginning to play so well independently. It's absolutely priceless to watch him make stories and communicate for hours with all his animals, tractors, cars, rescue vehicles, etc. He is SUCH a boy! Ryan is TOTALLY entertained just watching him. One of my friends shared with me that she found having two boys was easier than just one. I'm starting to see why now as whenever Ryan is awake, he does not need me to entertain him, he has his brother to watch, and Andrew even attempts to include him in the play time, even if from afar!
In the mornings, we do playtime together. Puzzles, play-dough, books, crafts, baking, drawing, colouring, painting, etc., etc. Then we all eat lunch together and then both boys go down simultaneously for two-hour naps, which gives me the opportunity to get some chores done or just rest myself. Andrew hasn't even asked once for the tv to be turned on. But I have started to play some Disney movies in anticipation of our cruise, so he will be aware of the many characters he will meet on board. His favourite movie (by far): The Lion King!
Next week, when I have the car back (hopefully), we will plan some fun outings, weather permitting: Marineland, La Petite Ferme, playgrounds with friends and of course a few trips to the swimming pool.
My next blog entries will be illustrations of our playtime together at home.

No comments: