Sunday, November 9, 2008

Obama-mania!

It is certainly understandable that everyone in the United States was riveted by the recent election. I was amazed, however, to discover much of the same hype and attention to the matter over here. Many of my friends (French, Italian, Spanish or other) even got up in the middle of the night to view the final outcome. Admittedly, I have not always been the most knowledgeable one when it comes to the world and current events (my family is probably laughing right now), but now that the only English tv we get is news, things have changed! I had a lengthy discussion (in French) with one of Andrew's daycare teachers; she wasn't just interested, she was educated. She knew all about the election, and brought up issues such as swing states, John Mc Cain's VP choice and the latest poll numbers in our discussion. And I found one common thread: EVERYBODY over here was rooting for Barack Obama. On Wednesday, November 5th, I definitely saw and felt this nation over here rejoicing with the happy news.

No comments: